ARE YOU BETWEEN THE AGES OF 13 AND 30, with a clear vision for impacting climate and environmental justice? Have you successfully led others to embrace and act upon your vision? Merlyn Climate Grants would like to support you with a Merlyn Climate Grant.
Climate Grants recognize the power of an individual to effect change. The grants are tactical and help successful young climate activists take advantage of opportunities and respond to challenges. Grants underwrite activities that have a positive impact on your community --- such as carbon footprint reduction, community action, artistic and dramatic productions, organizing, training, and outreach. Climate Grants may also be used toward supplemental expenses such as marketing, travel, materials, permits, and legal aid. In supporting your vision, creativity and persistence, our aim is to support whatever is needed to keep your successful climate solutions project buzzing.
CLIMATE GRANT AWARDS: Applicants may request from $500 to $3000.
WHO MAY APPLY: Young climate leaders age 13 to 30 who live in New England and New York. Affiliation with a 501(c)3 organization is not required.
NOMINATIONS: A nomination from a supporter is not necessary or expected. Nevertheless, we welcome nominations from friends, family, and supporters. To suggest a young climate leader, please send your email to Jim Stahl, Grants Director, at Grants@MerlynsPen.org.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: October 15, 2020. Early applications are encouraged as in some cases grant decisions are made on a rolling basis well before the deadline. Candidates are usually notified within 45 days of application.
HOW TO APPLY FOR A GRANT: WRITE A LETTER TO MERLYN CLIMATE GRANTS.
In the body of your email -- not as an attachment -- please:
1. At the top of your letter, tell us your name, age, address (temporary and permanent if in college), date of birth, education, email address, and phone number. If desired, share your social media pages.
2. Specify the amount of your Climate Grant request after the above information.
3. DESCRIBE IN DETAIL your intended or current climate leadership project and how your grant will be used. Please show in detail how the funds, if awarded, will be spent. A detailed spreadsheet or worksheet may be attached as a separate file for this purpose.
4. Describe your recent success in climate leadership. Explain two or three key insights you’ve gained in your role as a leader.
5. Note any additional sources of funding for your project. Your project must be current or expected to begin within 120 days.
6. Include the names and contact information of two (2) people who are willing to be contacted as references.
Applications may include, though this step is not required, one letter of support, which:
Is written by a supporter who can speak to your passion and success in leadership. Letter may be submitted by a mentor, coworker, teacher, family member or friend, and should include the writer's email address and phone number. Recommenders must be at least sixteen years old.
Describes your recent leadership experience, to help the Merlyn Climate Grant team get a picture of your unique brand of leadership.
You may also attach additional support materials such as photographs, videos, handouts, art or music files, social media, etc.
EMAIL YOUR APPLICATION BY October 15, 2020 to: GRANTS@MerlynsPen.org with the subject heading "Merlyn Climate Grant." Attach supporting materials, including any letters of support, as PDF or Word files. Supporting photos, videos, etc., are welcome.
We look forward to your application. For more information, email GRANTS@MerlynsPen.org. You're invited to call Jim Stahl, Grants Director, at 401-751-3766.
DOWNLOAD THE GRANT POSTER (8.5" X 11")